4.06.2007

Easter Marketing

Happy Good Friday! (Of course, standing in the gospel narrative where we stand, I'm not sure that should have an exclamation point, nor if it should necessarily be "happy." It is only on Sunday when these two should emerge...but I digress)

I was thinking tonight that the Christian community should step up its marketing for Easter. Once again I notice that the Christian story is drowned out by pastel colored candy, Eastroturf, and the Rabbit. I have a couple of products that might help to turn things around:

First, it is Good Friday. In services across the country the events leading up to and including Jesus' crucifixion are being remembered. But for an interactive generation, we need to bring the story off the page, and I mean in more striking ways than stained glass or printed images. So, where is the Good Friday Childrens' Activity kit out in the marketplace? Just think of the tagline: Relive Jesus' Crucifixion with this realistic Golgotha scene. I mean, we celebrate Christmas with Creche presentations, why not a home version of the crucifixion for the kids?

Second, something to truly grasp the impact of the Resurrection of Jesus. The product gives you the most realistic experience of the resurrection to date. The set contains a box that, when opened, is empty. However, a carefully placed miniature projection set projects a holographic Jesus 10 feet away from you. It's the empty tomb and the Resurrected Presence all in one!

Hopefully by next year I'll be ready to flood the marketplace with these fabulous, pro-Christian, pro-Easter products. But, until then, I guess we're captive to the Rabbit and metaphoric tales of new life.

Since you know that these fabulous products will not be on store shelves until next year, you should head down to your local Christian bookstore right away and ask if they have a true-to-life crucifixion re-enactment kit for the kids. Just imagine the look on their faces - a mixture of horror and "why didn't I think of that" all at once ;)

Well, take this for what it is worth, and may God bless you as you move through the events of this Paschal season. Our Lord is crucified, and we wait in expectation of Resurrection Sunday! Amen.

No comments: