1.16.2009

Parenting Tip #1,278: Don't Plan to Rest, Just Rest When You Can

It was a perfect night. Logan was tired, Mia was on her normal schedule, and Chantal and I were tired from staying up too late working on a project the night before. The proclamation was made at the dinner table: "Let's all clean up from dinner, get everyone in and out of the bath, and go to bed early!" And off we went. Ah, the best laid plans.

All of us were officially in bed by 10:00pm, which is a "Christmas miracle," as Logan is still saying these few weeks beyond the sacred holiday. My body is so used to staying up late that it took me a while to rest down, but by 11:00pm I was just about to rest down for the night and Mia began to cry. This is normal for her, but her cry tonight was a bit different. After letting her "cry it out" for about 10 minutes, we decided she need to eat. So, Chantal woke up, fed her, and then we put her back down. Normally Mia falls right back to sleep, but not last night. She immediately began crying, which meant something was wrong. So I held her in the rocker for a while and realized that the poor girl could not breathe because her nose was stuffy. So, I rocked with her upright in the rocker to let her nose drain and she was pretty clear by 1:30am. I laid her down, and she fell to sleep. Yay!

I went off to bed, which was about the time I normally get to sleep, thereby completely negating the whole "go to bed early thing." So, my parental advice this morning, don't plan to rest, just rest when you can. With that in mind, I'm off to take a nap on my desk at work...don't I wish :).

1 comment:

Griselda Johnson said...

Dude, hope you start catching up on sleep soon.