3.03.2009

Experiencing a Nexus of Divine Providence

There are moments in life, and I think we all experience them, when you are shocked into the Reality of God's Providence. Several weeks ago I found out that Pepperdine University was sending a Project Serve spring break campaign group to work with Mission Waco. I worked with Ashley Nolan in the Pepperdine Volunteer Center and Alicia Young, the Mission Waco Project Serve group leader, to plan a dinner gathering with the Project Serve group while they were in town. We made some very loose, initial plans and then I got busy. So busy that I didn't wake up to the realization that our plans were in limbo until this past Saturday! I emailed Alicia in a panic, knowing that the Project Serve team was probably in town already! To make a long story short, Alicia and I connected on Monday afternoon and solidified plans for dinner tonight at 6:00pm. Of course, now I had to get local alumni recruited to come for the dinner on one day's notice. So, I sent a couple of emails in hope that it would not be just the seven Project Serve folks and my family at the dinner. I heard back from several folks and my hopes were lifted - we would not be the only one there. And then, as the day rolled on, it became evident that most of the people I asked would be able to come. Amazing. On 24 hours notice. We arrived at the restaurant, greeted fellow alums from the area and soon greeted our seven guests. The restaurant sat us around a large table and a frenzy of lively conversation broke forth that lasted for more than two hours. What a great feeling not only to have a great mix of alums show up to show hospitality to our visitors, but everyone just clicked. The thread that is Pepperdine ties us together so strongly. And then, something miraculous happened. Of all the people who could walk in the room at that moment, Ken Durham, Preaching Minister of the University Church of Christ at Pepperdine University entered the room. Uninvited. Wholly Unexpected. So, now we have a veritable Pepperdine festival going on in the back room of the restaurant. Alums and undergrads are jumping around, getting in line to hug Ken. The synergy of current Pepperdine students coming to Waco, the large number of alums who happen to be around right now, and Ken showing created a surge of joy and wonder in the room experienced by anyone who was around. And then, to top it off, Molly MacEwan, who admittedly is a Baylor student, walks in. Morgan Gooch, one my my first year seminar students at Pepperdine several years ago, connected me with Molly before she started at Baylor. We connected on Facebook, but never in person - and now, there she was. So, my final act of the night was to visit for a few minutes with Molly. Another Pepperdine connection. So, tonight was an experience in the Providence of God - a nexus that centered around Pepperdine, a place that remains near and dear to my heart. I'm not sure what it all means yet, if it means at all. Was tonight simply a reassurance and reminder of our mutual love for Pepperdine? I'm sure that the meaning is there, in the event, and that if I am too dim to see it now its meaning will grow more evident in time as we continue to faithfully follow, prayerfully seeking God's will here and in all things. But, for now, all I can say is what a great night!

1 comment:

Griselda Johnson said...

I love those moments when you reconnect with Pepperdine people. There is just something about experiences we have all shared on campus at different times and people that have connected us. What a blessing!