6.23.2005

Back to Work (Update through Day 15)

If you frequent the site, you've noticed that things are moving VERY slowly with new blogs and new pictures. Well, let's just say things are pretty busy around the house these days and life simply doesn't afford the time I imagine having to filter through the hundreds of pictures we have of Logan to construct a quality site for all of our friends and loved ones. But don't lose heart, I should have something in place by the end of the weekend; even if it is very, very cheesy. Something is, after all, better than Nothing.

Today I returned to work after a glorious two weeks that completely changed my life. I am so thankful that I work at a place and with people who are so gracious to allow me to be away "hassle free" for two, entire weeks. In fact, I intended to return on Monday for a half day and my director, Hung Le, suggested I simply take the final three days (through Wednesday) in their entirety. What a blessing! So, after a very short night of sleep (Logan was up and down continuously from Midnight to 3:00am), I got myself up, ready, and out the door to return to work. I had the chance to say "bye-bye" to Momma and Logan as I left since he was up for a 6:30ish am feeding and was still trying to get back to sleep when I departed. The day at work was good. I was glad to see my team and the other co-workers in our office. I returned to a desk covered with papers; some that I left, others that accumulated while I was away. I managed to work through all the desk items (save one HUGE stack that won't last another couple of days) and even get onto some more ethereally stored projects that I left undone when I left on June 7, 2005. I made it through the day with only two tired spells (to the point that I literally checked out for a few seconds - or was it minutes?) and, honestly, the day seemed to move along very quickly. As I told several who asked, a mental image of Logan's smiling face was before me throughout the day, which made me both happy and, well, a bit sad too. I mean, who wants to be staring at a computer screen when you can be looking into the eyes of your son as he makes goofy expressions with his mouth and tongue?

As far as Logan is concerned, he enjoyed a wonderful day with Momma. Momma did an AMAZING job with him. For the first day in several days, Logan was simply home and not out galavanting around the countryside meeting family and friends, or running to a store or two in the recent California heat. It seems (and this is just my guess) that Logan's overeager and inexperienced parents ran him around just a bit too much too early for his young age. A few days ago, Logan became very irritable and fussy for no apparent reason: not wet, warm, not hungry, not running a fever, not anxious for our touch...nothing very apparent. Then I began to read voraciously, seeking some sort of understanding. And there it was in plain ink - overtired. As I looked back on Logan's fussy spells, they all made sense in the context of a baby who is simply overextended and cannot take any more stimulus. So, for the past day and half, Logan's been pretty much eating, resting, and sleeping. As of this time of this writing, he seems to be getting back to his "normal" self (although he still fights sleep like a trooper!). But beyond this new finding, Logan remains VERY healthy and happy. I enjoyed morning "naps" with Logan during my time away from work. After our first morning feeding, I'd bring Logan into bed with me and we'd just rest together. Wow, what a moment. I also enjoyed coming home from work today to find Logan greeting me on the patio with a big, wet smile. So, glorious. So, suffice it to say that Logan is generally happy, very healthy, and progressing as he should in his 15th day!

Momma also continues her recovery from labor and delivery. She regains more strength and color each day and is already an amazing Momma to Logan, which is no surprise since she's been an "auntie" to so many over the years and has "raised" me quite well over the past 14 years or so ;). My love and appreciation deepens for Chantal with each moment as I watch her mother our son. God gifts us in amazing ways for this impossible task of parenthood. May his grace prevail in our meager efforts to comfort, enjoy, nurture, and love Logan. And may you all be blessed as you encourage us!

Stay tuned for recent pictures and more news/stories as things change with our little boy!

No comments: