6.14.2005

A Tale of Two Logans (Days Five & Six, or so)

To those who have children, the following is no surprise. To ones still learning; however, this experience came as a great revelation about our son and about God's mercy.

Our second night at home with Logan was an absolute dream! We bathed him for the first time at home, and he enjoyed the experience, particularly the part where we washed the little hair he has. After feeding, we put him down and he slept from about 11:00pm through to 4:00am! Amazing. At 4:00am, we changed his diaper, fed him, and off he went to sleep until around 8:00am when the whole family woke to enjoy his sweet morning disposition. We felt that this was God's mercy to us as new parents, especially after the chaos of our first night home with the run back to the hospital.

On the next day, after a wonderfully joyful and peaceful day together, Logan went back down again to sleep at about the same time as the night before. He fell asleep peacefully. And then woke at 1:00am, 2:30am, 3:30am and 4:55am. Each time he fed, and each time he awoke, crying. While Chantal and I managed to doze off for a while at 5:00am, we were up relatively early and I honestly cannot remember feeling that tired in quite a while! I don't think it is simply the lack of sleep that makes you tired, but its the reason for the lack of sleep, and that parental instinct/drive that keeps you going (and says you MUST keep going) in spite of your weariness. To top things off, the evening leading up to the next night of sleep was rough, if I have my days and nights correct (which is not a guarantee). Logan was inconsolable at many points, throwing all kinds of signals we don't yet understand regarding his needs. He became completely "disorganized" at several points and was completely inconsolable. So, we broke down and opened our first pack of pacifiers. What a graceful little invention! After what seemed like hours of on and off intense crying (with tears), Logan was sucking away, finding comfort in a way only babies seem to know. Logan rested and then slept through the night in two, long stretches. Again, mercy after a night and evening of despair in our new journey as parents.

And then, we awoke to a new day, today. And God gave us our Logan back. Logan was awake longer today than any day in his little life. We may have overextended things a bit too much since I think he cried for the first time because he was overstimulated. But it was a good day filled with sweet moments. Logan continues to excel in all the things that babies do: he's a champion eater, goes through diapers like they are going out of style, and sleeps through just about everything (door slams are NOT his favorite. But we'll see if God continues, in his mercy, to keep the sweet, gentle soul we met during our stay in the hospital with us, or whether the seemingly irritated, inconsolable Logan will appear again tonight. I'm wise enough to assume that his life will be a subtle combination of both. May God grant us the wisdom and strength to lovingly parent both!

On more formal matters, I hope to have more up to date pictures of Logan in place in the next couple of days in and around feedings, changings, errands, laundry, walks, and all the other things I am so blessed to be able to do during these days away from work. Logan is a treasure; sheer joy, and I cherish every minute that I have with him during each day, and night! He is and will be a very special boy...just watch!

Peace to you,
Carl

No comments: